Hi All
aleksitaly92
2012-05-08 17:30:49 UTC
Hello,
I'm Aleksi a 19 years old C,Java,C#,PHP Programmer and I want to help you out with CosmOS Developing.
I think this project is great and a very good start for a real OS and I'm trying to understand a bit the code to help you out as soon as possible.

I haven't so much experience on Assembly so i must learn it again.

Hope i can be useful for your porpuses :)

Aleksi
Sebastian Schocke
2012-05-08 17:57:03 UTC
Welcome... always nice to see new devs :-)

Don't necessarily need assembler experience to be useful, feel free to stick your nose into the VS integration, and the compiler is supposed to be asm free too.

What are you interested in working on... any ideas?

Aleksi
Chad Hower aka Kudzu
2012-05-08 18:02:18 UTC
Post by Sebastian Schocke
Don't necessarily need assembler experience to be useful, feel free to
stick your nose into the VS integration, and the compiler is supposed to
be asm free too.
There are some small tasks regarding VSIP and VMWare VSIX that would be
a great place to jump in...
aleksitaly92
2012-05-08 19:52:45 UTC
Thanks for the Responses!
Anyway, I would like to improve the Filesystem also maybe enabling support for other FS types (exp. NTFS,EXT3...)
I will study their file table and then i'll try to write some classes.

Maybe this is a good idea :)
Aleksi
aleksitaly92
Aleksi
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-05-08 20:26:02 UTC
One needs swap to be able to improve it. :)
aleksitaly92
2012-05-08 20:35:57 UTC
Then it should be implemented :)

I don't speak english so often so many terms are inexact xD
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-05-08 20:47:59 UTC
There are more important foundational things that need work first.
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-05-08 20:48:32 UTC
Post by aleksitaly92
Thanks for the Responses!
Anyway, I would like to improve the Filesystem also maybe enabling
support for other FS types (exp. NTFS,EXT3...)
I will study their file table and then i'll try to write some classes.
We really need a few issues fixed in the asm/compiler level to progress
properly at the FS level.
aleksitaly92
2012-05-08 21:46:43 UTC
Then Im going to have a look at that :)
I've not a good relationship with compilers (they hate me) but i'll see what i can do.

Have you got a "To-Do"
Thank you

Aleksi
properly at the FS level.
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-05-10 01:53:46 UTC
Yes.. I'll try to dig up the latest one this weekend...
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-05-10 22:53:53 UTC
Post by aleksitaly92
Then Im going to have a look at that :)
I've not a good relationship with compilers (they hate me) but i'll see what i can do.
Have you got a "To-Do"
Here are some good ways to jump in:

Change bat file to a C# app

VSIX - Shutdown VMWare etc (other user)

Convert current DB from FB to SQL Compact

Installer as part of bat: how do we get it to stop asking UAC every time?

Dynamic load/unload IL2CPU and other parts so we dont need to exit and
run install.bat every time for changes

Or you want to jump deep - help with finishing stepping in ASM.
aleksitaly92
2012-05-11 12:01:13 UTC
Thank you very much!
I think i will start changing the bat file into a C# application with
maybe some custom settings (Paths, Compilation options,etc.)...

P.S.
I have a suggest the Cosmos.Core.Heap Class:
Would be nice if there was a method that returns the current not
allocated memory.
Something Like this.

//Added By Alexitaly92 11/05/2012
//Way to retrive free ram
public static uint GetFreeMemory()
{
return (mStart + mLength) - mStartAddress;
}

I don't know if it will work. I tested it and the returned value is
continuously growing. Meybe those are not the right variables xD

Aleksi
Post by aleksitaly92
Then Im going to have a look at that :)
I've not a good relationship with compilers (they hate me) but i'll
see
Post by Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
Post by aleksitaly92
what i can do.
Have you got a "To-Do"
Matthijs ter Woord
aleksitaly92
2012-05-11 12:14:08 UTC
If Someone installed IIS in a custom folder,
The Compilation verbosity,
The output path,
The Cosmos Project folder,

I mean this as customizations.
Matthijs ter Woord
aleksitaly92
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-05-11 12:31:10 UTC
correct. I'm just saying, the tool (install.exe or whatever) will be a
small tool (commandline, or simple winforms) doing a quick build, but
shouldn't ask for any input..
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
Post by aleksitaly92
what i can do.
Have you got a "To-Do"
Change bat file to a C# app
VSIX - Shutdown VMWare etc (other user)
Convert current DB from FB to SQL Compact
Installer as part of bat: how do we get it to stop asking UAC
every
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
time?
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
Post by Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
Dynamic load/unload IL2CPU and other parts so we dont need to
exit
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
and
aleksitaly92

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-05-11 14:40:37 UTC
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
correct. I'm just saying, the tool (install.exe or whatever) will be a
small tool (commandline, or simple winforms) doing a quick build, but
shouldn't ask for any input..
For easy porting and easy expansion Id like to see a set of classes
which emulate bat commands. Later we can add new things etc. but would
be easiest if we start off 1:1

xBatch.Copy("xxx", "xxxx");

etc...
aleksitaly92
2012-05-11 17:26:26 UTC
AH! Ok.
msbuild command and the ISCC comand?
Should i write something that executes them?

Aleksi
etc...
Chad Hower aka Kudzu
2012-05-11 17:36:37 UTC
Post by aleksitaly92
msbuild command and the ISCC comand?
Should i write something that executes them?
Yes.

xBatch.Call("msbuild.exe", "Params")..

something like that....
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-05-11 14:41:45 UTC
It should read that info from the registry. :)
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-05-11 14:43:03 UTC
oh, bonus points for a clear message when people didn't install innosetup
quickstart pack but just innosetup..
:)
CRAIG ADAMS
2012-05-11 12:32:03 UTC
Hi

They is a way to free memory in a class that should replace the heap class
as it does the same but also allow you to control the memory more and free
memory. it does work. you should have a look at it. it in

source2\Kernel\System\Hardware\Core\Cosmos.Core\Managed_Memory_System

They are some other class that it need in the folder as way.

It does not show up in VS.Net for some reason. It does work as I have test
it and run a system using it. They are some more class you could look at
in source2\Kernel\System\Hardware\Core\Cosmos.Core\Process_System.

if be cool if you could allow for some of the custom settings to allow this
memory system over the other one if people want to.
**
aleksitaly92
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-05-11 12:40:55 UTC
You calculation is wrong: mLength - mStart should give it to you..
Post by aleksitaly92
Thank you,
I'll check it out :)
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
memory system over the other one if people want to.
**
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-05-11 12:43:40 UTC
sorry, mLength - mStartAddress. (best to look at the Alloc method to see
which start variable you need)

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Matthijs ter Woord <
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
You calculation is wrong: mLength - mStart should give it to you..
Post by aleksitaly92
Thank you,
I'll check it out :)
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
memory system over the other one if people want to.
**
aleksitaly92
2012-05-11 12:54:43 UTC
Yes :) It is.
I have a question now...
The allocated memory is not deallocated automatically now?
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
You calculation is wrong: mLength - mStart should give it to you..
Post by aleksitaly92
Thank you,
I'll check it out :)
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
memory system over the other one if people want to.
**
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-05-11 12:59:18 UTC
we dont have a Garbage Collector, which is responsible for reclaiming
memory.
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
You calculation is wrong: mLength - mStart should give it to you..
Post by aleksitaly92
Thank you,
I'll check it out :)
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
as it does the same but also allow you to control the memory more
and
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
free
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
They are some other class that it need in the folder as way.
It does not show up in VS.Net for some reason. It does work as I
have
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
test
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
in source2\Kernel\System\Hardware\Core\Cosmos.Core\Process_System.
if be cool if you could allow for some of the custom settings to
allow
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
this
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
memory system over the other one if people want to.
**
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
Post by aleksitaly92
what i can do.
Have you got a "To-Do"
Change bat file to a C# app
VSIX - Shutdown VMWare etc (other user)
Convert current DB from FB to SQL Compact
Installer as part of bat: how do we get it to stop asking UAC
every
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
time?
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
Post by aleksitaly92
Post by Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
Dynamic load/unload IL2CPU and other parts so we dont need to
exit
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by aleksitaly92
and
Jeremi Stadler
2012-05-11 13:08:22 UTC
Isn't simple to create a garbage collector??

A simple one would just require a list of static objects, a list of created
objects and a root object. Garbage collecting would be simple as marking
all the created objects valid if they exist somewhere in the root/static
object chain.

Or am I missing something here?
Matthijs ter Woord

Jeremi Stadler
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-05-11 14:31:39 UTC
eh?
stack can contain references as well.
stack values (value types), are automatically "freed", but those aren't
taking space in the heap...
heap is where the problem is: most memory is consumed in the heap.
Post by Jeremi Stadler
But the GC is only collecting heap objects. The stack pointer is
"automatically" moved back when a method exits.
**
Matthijs ter Woord
aleksitaly92
2012-05-11 22:45:14 UTC
Hello again,
I was looking for the List Plug but i couldn't find it...

Where is it?

Thank you

Aleksi
Matthijs ter Woord
aleksitaly92
2012-05-12 13:15:43 UTC
I can't find the List plug... The one that implements the List Class
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
What plug? any specifics?
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-05-12 17:46:23 UTC
I could be mistaken, but all of list is managed code, so no plugs involved.

Plugs are just for classes which contain unmanaged code (icalls or
pinvoke..)
Post by aleksitaly92
I can't find the List plug... The one that implements the List Class
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
What plug? any specifics?