Introduction
Aurora 01
2012-02-17 12:07:52 UTC
Hello! I'm Aurora and here's an introduction about me;
I started programming in 2010, in VB and HTML, but since then I've expanded to many different languages, such as C#, VB.Net, a bit of assembler and C, etc. I'm very interested in the hardware aspect of Cosmos, and I did start writing my own C and ASM OS. I was also responsible for the Cosmos tutorials at http://cosmos-tutorials.webs.com , so I have a reasonable understanding of Cosmos. I'd like to work on hardware compatibility or other low-level stuff, but I'm happy with anything really, so I'll see what I can do :).
-Aurora
Callum McGing
2012-02-19 21:34:03 UTC
Sounds good!
craig_adams_uk
2012-02-21 18:43:29 UTC
Hello

I am Craig Adams. Nickname "A51UK" Here's an small introduction about me;

I have been programming for about 6 years, start with about of C and C++ then moving onto C# and python when I was at Universality. I have a BSc and a MSc. Both in the area of computing. I love C# but do think that it have some functions missing like inheritance multiple and meta-class. it also be cool if C# could rewrite it own code at running time. The thing I do not like in C# is LINQ.

I have a interests in AI and AL and Grid system as wall as OS. I have not do anything in OS before but all way want to..

I think this OS could be better then Linux and Windows.

I have been looking at you code and seen that one of the mean things that is needed to be do is Threading system. I have start on some of the class that would be needed for this system but I do not have the knowing on how the run-time or the IL2CPU to getting them fully done or to work.

I just made to class to kick start the making of the threading system.

My idea for a threading system is that thread would be allocation to one core and to allows thread to move to other computers and can start or go in a different process. This would allow the system to be on many computer at the same time and to run a program over many systems. Each of the process would have it own memory and garbage collection and allow Inter-process communication would be done though a mail box system. this allow be done so that process would not be able to share any reference with each other.

I would need write access to upload the class.

I think this project going to be full.

- Craig Adams
Chad Hower aka Kudzu
2012-02-21 19:44:17 UTC
Post by craig_adams_uk
and a MSc. Both in the area of computing. I love C# but do think that it
have some functions missing like inheritance multiple and meta-class. it
Mulitple inheritance is considered a bad thing by most and was
purposefully left out. I believe interfaces are often over used, but
they do have their place and one is where you would consider mult
inheritance. Interfaces are much better for such needs.
Post by craig_adams_uk
also be cool if C# could rewrite it own code at running time. The thing
It can using IL.
Post by craig_adams_uk
I do not like in C# is LINQ.
LINQ is one of the best expansions to C#.
Post by craig_adams_uk
I think this OS could be better then Linux and Windows.
We agree. :)"
Post by craig_adams_uk
I have been looking at you code and seen that one of the mean things
that is needed to be do is Threading system. I have start on some of the
We have so many foundational things to finish first, like memory
manager... Debuggers..
See my article on Mobile agents on CodeProject.
craig_adams_uk
2012-02-21 20:28:15 UTC
I have a look at you Mobile agents. It really cool!! It could be done on the threads level in this OS. This would make far better OS then windows. (:

Mulitple inheritance is considered a bad thing. this is true and it was bad in C++ but it was not mulitple inheritance was bad it how they made it work. If you could select what is inheritance from each of the class and which of the class is high raking.

I know there a lot of thing need to be done like memory manager but I think it would be best to make the threads first or at the same time so that thing likes memory manage are made around the threads.

This would allow memory manager to be made more efferent and be more efferent work with threads.

- Craig Adams
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-02-21 20:48:38 UTC
Post by craig_adams_uk
I have a look at you Mobile agents. It really cool!! It could be done on
Its planned to be a major part of Cosmos in the future.
Every done any ASM?
craig_adams_uk
Every done any ASM?
Chad Hower aka Kudzu
2012-02-22 13:18:52 UTC
Post by craig_adams_uk
Fairly little amount. A lot time ago. It my really weak point.
We can help. :)

Otherwise there are lot fo things to do, just have to find out who is
working in the other areas.
craig_adams_uk
2012-02-22 22:06:49 UTC
Yes there is a lot to do. :)

-Craig Adams
working in the other areas.
craig_adams_uk
2012-02-24 10:58:28 UTC
Hi

I going to need to be able to up to the source control soon. So I can upload some of the code on been working on. Most of the code of is for process and memory management. it not fully done as I be some help with it and as will have to interact with the compiler / run time.

My username on CodePlex is a51uk

- Craig Adams
Post by craig_adams_uk
Yes there is a lot to do. :)
-Craig Adams
working in the other areas.
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-02-24 11:03:21 UTC
any changes to current compiler (other than fixing up bugs) is off-limits.
it's crrently too fragile to do large changes.

Why not help out on other things so we can get going with the compiler
later on?
Post by craig_adams_uk
Hi
I going to need to be able to up to the source control soon. So I can
upload some of the code on been working on. Most of the code of is for
process and memory management. it not fully done as I be some help with it
and as will have to interact with the compiler / run time.
My username on CodePlex is a51uk
- Craig Adams
Post by craig_adams_uk
Yes there is a lot to do. :)
-Craig Adams
craig_adams_uk
2012-02-24 11:41:06 UTC
Hi

I have not going into or change the compiler because I know it sure been work on. I just add some class to the Kernel for when the compiler is done they are not connect to other system let. So they be less work later on.

I will work be working on something else soon.

you got any idea was else i could be working on ?

- Craig Adams
Post by craig_adams_uk
Hi
I going to need to be able to up to the source control soon. So I can
upload some of the code on been working on. Most of the code of is for
process and memory management. it not fully done as I be some help with it
and as will have to interact with the compiler / run time.
My username on CodePlex is a51uk
- Craig Adams
Post by craig_adams_uk
Yes there is a lot to do. :)
-Craig Adams
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-02-24 11:45:57 UTC
Chad's the best to guide you on tasks...
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
and as will have to interact with the compiler / run time.
My username on CodePlex is a51uk
- Craig Adams
Post by craig_adams_uk
Yes there is a lot to do. :)
-Craig Adams
Post by Chad Hower aka Kudzu
Post by craig_adams_uk
Fairly little amount. A lot time ago. It my really weak point.
We can help. :)
Otherwise there are lot fo things to do, just have to find out who
is
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Chad Hower aka Kudzu
working in the other areas.
craig_adams_uk
2012-02-24 12:36:57 UTC
OK but I stall need to be able to up load codes to the source control. So I can my class and code to the OS.

My username on CodePlex is a51uk

any way are we moving to the MOSA compiler ?

- Craig Adams
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
and as will have to interact with the compiler / run time.
My username on CodePlex is a51uk
- Craig Adams
Post by craig_adams_uk
Yes there is a lot to do. :)
-Craig Adams
Post by Chad Hower aka Kudzu
Post by craig_adams_uk
Fairly little amount. A lot time ago. It my really weak point.
We can help. :)
Otherwise there are lot fo things to do, just have to find out who
is
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Chad Hower aka Kudzu
working in the other areas.
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-02-24 12:39:54 UTC
compiler future is yet to be determined...

Post by Matthijs ter Woord
it's crrently too fragile to do large changes.
Why not help out on other things so we can get going with the
compiler
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
later on?
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
and as will have to interact with the compiler / run time.
My username on CodePlex is a51uk
- Craig Adams
Post by craig_adams_uk
Yes there is a lot to do. :)
-Craig Adams
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Chad Hower aka Kudzu
We can help. :)
Otherwise there are lot fo things to do, just have to find out
who
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
is
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Chad Hower aka Kudzu
working in the other areas.
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-02-24 12:40:13 UTC
hit the enter too soon:
we will most likely use parts, but also implement parts ourselves..

Post by Matthijs ter Woord
it's crrently too fragile to do large changes.
Why not help out on other things so we can get going with the
compiler
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
later on?
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
and as will have to interact with the compiler / run time.
My username on CodePlex is a51uk
- Craig Adams
Post by craig_adams_uk
Yes there is a lot to do. :)
-Craig Adams
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Chad Hower aka Kudzu
We can help. :)
Otherwise there are lot fo things to do, just have to find
out who
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
is
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Chad Hower aka Kudzu
working in the other areas.
craig_adams_uk
2012-02-24 12:58:48 UTC
It sound a good idea. Then we can gets part that are not as bug as the compiler that we got now and use implement part so it work with the OS. it may take less time then fixing the one we got.
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
it's crrently too fragile to do large changes.
Why not help out on other things so we can get going with the
compiler
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
later on?
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
and as will have to interact with the compiler / run time.
My username on CodePlex is a51uk
- Craig Adams
Post by craig_adams_uk
Yes there is a lot to do. :)
-Craig Adams
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Chad Hower aka Kudzu
We can help. :)
Otherwise there are lot fo things to do, just have to find
out who
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
is
Post by Matthijs ter Woord
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by craig_adams_uk
Post by Chad Hower aka Kudzu
working in the other areas.
Chad Hower aka Kudzu
2012-02-24 13:34:47 UTC
Post by craig_adams_uk
It sound a good idea. Then we can gets part that are not as bug as the
compiler that we got now and use implement part so it work with the OS.
it may take less time then fixing the one we got.
Actually our compiler isn't really buggy. Despite needing some rework,
it functions very well. Where we have issues is on certain IL ops, the
output is not correct on floats, etc...
craig_adams_uk
Matthijs ter Woord

craig_adams_uk
2012-02-24 13:54:49 UTC
I been making some class for a Threading system and memory management system.

It not fully done and they could do with some work done by other people. If I load the code them other people may help to work on them. if they want.

That are not connect let so they will not cause any problems.

I be stall working on them too. but will need some help to get them fully work.

- Craig Adams
Chad Hower aka Kudzu
2012-02-24 19:37:29 UTC
Want to help me finish the debugger? :)
craig_adams_uk
2012-02-24 19:55:17 UTC
yes sure. What need doing ?
Henrik Klarup
2012-02-24 20:33:36 UTC
Never trust Chad when he wants help on the debugger! You'll be stuck with
it forever ;)

/HKS

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM, craig_adams_uk
Post by craig_adams_uk
**
yes sure. What need doing ?
Chad Hower aka Kudzu
2012-02-27 14:20:56 UTC
Post by craig_adams_uk
yes sure. What need doing ?
Ping me on Skype or IRC and we'll get started. :)

We need to finish ASM stepping, then a few minor things.. then we wnat
to rework the compiler. But ASM stepping of course will be infinitely
useful for debugging compiler.. thus why we want to finish it first.
Matthijs ter Woord
CRAIG ADAMS

CRAIG ADAMS
2012-02-27 15:50:56 UTC
Hi

Chad Hower aka Kudzu

I will ping on the IRC. So we can get starter.

My Codeplex id: a51uk

From

Craig Adams
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
Hi
My codeplex is a51uk
From
Craig Adams
**
Matthijs ter Woord
2012-02-27 17:41:56 UTC
Added
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
Hi
Chad Hower aka Kudzu
I will ping on the IRC. So we can get starter.
My Codeplex id: a51uk
From
Craig Adams
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
Hi
My codeplex is a51uk
From
Craig Adams
**
CRAIG ADAMS
2012-02-27 19:40:33 UTC
Thank you.

I going to add the threading and memory class now.
**
Added
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
Hi
Chad Hower aka Kudzu
I will ping on the IRC. So we can get starter.
My Codeplex id: a51uk
From
Craig Adams
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
Hi
My codeplex is a51uk
From
Craig Adams
**
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-02-27 23:15:25 UTC
Post by CRAIG ADAMS
I will ping on the IRC. So we can get starter.
Im in and out a lot. after we get server moved (hw failure) Ill have
more cosmos time agian.

------------------------------------

More things to join for Cosmos!

1) Cosmos chat room:
http://tinyurl.com/pc7bds

2) Please add yourself to the map:
http://tinyurl.com/qhttde

3) Help publicity and join our Facebook page:
http://tinyurl.com/plrloa

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Cosmos-Dev-digest-***@public.gmane.org
Cosmos-Dev-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Callum McGing
2012-02-24 20:47:55 UTC
Cosmos isn't compatible with the mosa compiler. And our compiler is a piece
of art so I don't see anyone migrating our code to run on mosa at all
Phil Garcia
2012-02-24 22:21:15 UTC
Post by Callum McGing
Cosmos isn't compatible with the mosa compiler. And our compiler is a
piece of art so I don't see anyone migrating our code to run on mosa at all
In my previous e-mail, I described a integration plan to optionally add the
MOSA compiler into COSMOS. Key is optional.

I'd like to see our two projects work together to be successful. COSMOS has
a very novel debugger integration with Visual Studio. MOSA has an excellent
compiler framework. I'd like to merge those two unique qualities together.

If anyone wants to help, some of the integration parts are not complicated
or complex, and thus would be good starting points for people that want to
become more involved.
Chad Hower aka Kudzu
2012-02-27 16:02:47 UTC
Post by Phil Garcia
In my previous e-mail, I described a integration plan to optionally add
the MOSA compiler into COSMOS. Key is optional.
I'd like to see our two projects work together to be successful. COSMOS
has a very novel debugger integration with Visual Studio. MOSA has an
excellent compiler framework. I'd like to merge those two unique
qualities together.
I think we should start with the ASM first. But to do that, we need ASM
output as an option....
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-02-25 20:07:42 UTC
Post by Callum McGing
Cosmos isn't compatible with the mosa compiler. And our compiler is a
piece of art so I don't see anyone migrating our code to run on mosa at all
We very likely will use pieces of MOSA in the future compiler. Its
possible we may use the full one, but we've had some differences in the
past about architecture so not to sure about full usage. But certainly
we plan to use pieces of it. For example we would like to use their
assembler output etc, but they need to add a few things (such as a NASM
option) for us to be able to switch to it.
Callum McGing
2012-02-25 11:19:36 UTC
I believe I can file this in the documentation

*
*
Callum McGing
2012-02-25 11:32:27 UTC
I uploaded your guide, but changed it quite a bit. Look in the FAQ
*
*
* *
*
*
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
2012-02-27 23:16:30 UTC
Am I missing it? I dont see it?
Callum McGing
2012-03-01 23:08:00 UTC
Like I said. I uploaded it. Look at the bottom of the FAQ. But since most
of the stuff was already in Kudzu's guide, I simplified it immensely and
put a link to Kudzu's guide in there too
* *
*
*